Ask The Meal Makeover Moms

The Meal Makeover Moms are here to answer your questions and offer mealtime suggestions! Please post your questions by clicking on the "comments" button at the end of any of our posts.

Monday, July 16, 2007

"The Moms" Meet Mom's Best

It's not everyday you get to tour a cereal factory and see a wind turbine but that's exactly what we did last Tuesday in Northfield, Minnesota. As guests of the Mom's Best Naturals cereal company, we donned hairnets, safety goggles, ear plugs, and lab coats (see our ready-for-primetime photo below!) and went behind the scenes as thousands of pounds of hot and cold cereals were cooked up at the plant. Seeing raw wheat turned into one of our kids' favorite cereals, Sweetened Wheat-fuls, was a real treat. After the tour, we headed over to a wind turbine that is part of the network that generates 100% of the electricity used to create Mom's Best. How cool is that?

Mom's Best Naturals creates value-priced cereals (costing 20 to 50% less than comparable all-natural brands) that are made without artificial colors, flavors, or trans fats. You can see why we love them! For more information check out http://www.momsbestnaturals.com/. To see a video demo of our yummy Toasty-O-Granola recipe using Mom's Best Toasty O's, visit http://www.mealmakeovertv.com/.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I live just a few miles from there. I wish I had known you were going to be here. I only recently found your blog and book, and we are enjoying the recipes. Isn't Northfield a nice little town? I am embarrassed to say that I did not know about Mom's Best before I read your post. I have eaten plenty of that other Northfield favorite, though, Malt-O-Meal! I will look for Mom's Best, particularly because that HFCS is a really tough one to get rid of altogether.

Janice said...

Thanks for your comment. It would have been so much fun to get together on our recent trip to Northfield. Perhaps, from now on when we travel, we should set up a Meal Makeover Mom coffee where club members can come out and meet us. Connecting with fellow moms to share ideas is one of our favorite things to do!

And yes, we absolutely loved Northfield! The welcome sign leading into town says it all:
"Northfield: Cows, Colleges and Contentment" Let us know when you get a chance to try Mom's Best Naturals. They're a great value and super nutritious too.

Jill Douglass said...

None of the local stores sell Moms Best (not even Whole Foods!). Is there a mail order / online store that carries the their products?

Janice said...

Hi Jill:

Mom's Best Naturals cereals were introduced about a year ago and, as you discovered, are not yet available in every grocery store nationwide. We are surprised that Whole Foods doesn't carry them!

At the present time, we're not aware of any online stores that sell Mom's Best Naturals. The best thing you can do is talk to your store managers and ask them to carry the brand. You'd be surprised how responsive stores can be when their customers ask for specific products. It truly is one way that new products make their way onto supermarket shelves. Good luck, and let us know what your store manager says.

Anonymous said...

hey there this is greg- i used to live in minneapolis now down on my farm not all that far from Northfield, would have been fun to say hi too.
By the way I sent you an e-mail with a question about metabolic syndrome ( kind of deep, I know) but I guess you have been on the road.
keep up the great work! I have seen that cereal at my store here, it is on my list!

Janice said...

Hi Greg:

So good to hear from you again! Wow, we could have really had a party with Club members in Northfield! We promise to let you and everyone else know when we return.

We have been on the road a lot this summer, but the real problem that may explain our not responding to your question (since you know we have always enjoyed our emails from you!) is that we had a major computer crash several weeks ago. Our backup system failed as well, so we lost documents and emails from the last several months. We are still trying to recover from this computer fiasco, so please resend your question!

And of course, let us know both where you find and how you like Mom's Best Naturals cereals. We especially like the Sweetened Wheat-fuls and the Toasty O's.

Anonymous said...

Hi there – Greg here. I’ll try sending my message again since I read about your computer crash.

I had asked about metabolic syndrome. Now at 50 I am getting a bit of a stomach (yikes!) and I don’t want that middle age stomach you see on men. I am exercising more – walking at my farm a lot, gardening a lot and using weights 3 x per week. I am just wondering about the food aspect. Do I need to change things now that I am older? Use your book differently? I am also on a statin and trying to lower my cholesterol.

By the way I got the cereal (the shredded wheat kind, really good, but wondering if I should be not eating this so much in relation to my question above)at my local Quillan’s grocery in Decorah, Iowa. They carry all their oats and raisin bran too.

Thanks for your help and I am keeping my eye out for that next book of yours!

Best- Greg

Janice said...

Hi Greg:

It’s great to hear from you again. We’re glad you found Mom’s Best Naturals cereals in Iowa. Lucky for you, whole-grain intake has been inversely associated with the metabolic syndrome, and people with metabolic syndrome are encouraged to increase their daily intake of whole grains to three or more servings. So you can enjoy your cereal without guilt!

As you probably know, metabolic syndrome (also called insulin resistance syndrome or syndrome X) is characterized by insulin resistance, abdominal obesity, elevated blood pressure, and lipid abnormalities including elevated triglycerides and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Metabolic syndrome is a risk factor for heart disease and type 2 diabetes. In addition to weight loss, primary dietary recommendations include decreasing intake of saturated fat and sodium.

Saturated fat is found mostly in animal fat and full-fat dairy products, so be sure to choose lean cuts of meat and lowfat dairy. Seafood is very low in saturated fat and generally low in sodium and is considered “heart healthy” so would be a good choice in addition to fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Keep up the exercise and strength training and cooking healthy meals from our book!

By the way, we are working on book #2 but seem to keep getting sidetracked with other projects. We’ll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm a fan of Mom's Best cereals (though they don't have to be ashamed of being part of Malt-O-Meal... oh, wait, Malt-O-Meal -> MOM! I get it now!), and I found this blog looking for information. I like it. Thanks!

Janice said...

Hi Tyler:

We're glad you love Mom's Best Naturals cereals! We love the new line for its low price, whole grains, great flavor and versatility. Have you tried our recipe for Grab-and-Go Breakfast Bars? We posted the recipe on our blog on August 23rd. Give them a try and let us know what you think.

MapleBrownSugar said...

You need a store locator. Please try to put one since now I have no idea how Im going to find my favorite product: Mom's Best Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal. My store will not be carrying it any longer.I dont know why. Of course, I told them that wasnt a very good idea, but they have decided to put something else on that shelf space. I will keep telling every nearby store to please start carrying it. I am very disappointed! Please help! I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Janice said...

We suggest you keep requesting that your local stores carry Mom's Best Naturals cereal (and ask your friends to talk to the store managers as well). They really do listen to what customers want.

Here is a link (just cut and paste it into your browser) for the store locator feature from the Mom's Best website:
http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/MomsBest/ProductLocator.htm

We understand that Mom's Best will be updating this feature in the next few weeks so check back if you don't find a store right away. If you have additional questions you can call Mom's Best Customer Service at 1-866-465-4633
Weekdays: 8am - 4pm CST

Let us know if you have any luck finding your favorite Maple & Brown Sugar instant oatmeal (it's Janice's daughter Leah's favorite cereal as well). What state do you live in? Maybe other Moms' Club members or blog readers can help you as well.

Anonymous said...

Yes,thank u for answering. I live in New Jersey. I found some at Eckerd Pharmacy, but it was only the variety pack and while the other flavors are really good as well, I prefer my Maple Brown Sugar. After the visit to Eckerd, I went to my regular store and, to my surprise, they still had my product (the last time I was there, there were just 3 boxes left and that's when they said what I explained in my 1st post). So maybe, just maybe, they'll keep it. Im hoping and will keep asking. Maybe my requests are being answered. I must say Leah got some pretty good taste. She knows what a good oatmeal is. She knows there is NO other like Mom's Best Maple & Brwon Sugar Oatmeal. It's just soooo delicious! I hear pleople in N.Y. are going nuts without it. Im not kidding either. I was just in a couple of forums and people are just asking one another where to find it. From the Bronx, if Im not mistaking. They said they just couldnt find it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, This was MapleBrownSugar answering. I just had to used my AOL acct. to send my comment, because, it seems, I forgot my password.....but it's me...MapleBrownSugar