Ask The Meal Makeover Moms

The Meal Makeover Moms are here to answer your questions and offer mealtime suggestions! Please post your questions by clicking on the "comments" button at the end of any of our posts.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Hearty Winter Pies

Okay. It's 60 degrees in Boston today -- admittedly a bit bizzare -- but that hasn't stopped us from cooking up some hearty winter pies. For this month's issue of Kiwi magazine, we took two of our favorites, chicken pot pie and shepherd's pie, and gave them a makeover. We lightened them up and then added a few good-for-you ingredients to make them more nutritious. Click here to read the article and sample our stick-to-your-ribs dishes. What's your favorite winter comfort food recipe? Please share!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ladies-
I can't wait to try your chicken pot pie recipe. I loved seeing you at the Manic Mommies escape and listening again to on the manic mommies podcast before Christmas.

I've enjoyed reading your blog!

Heather

Anonymous said...

I just read that the FDA thinks we should use margarine instead of butter because the total of trans fats + saturated fats is lower. Eek! I had banished margarine from my house! What do you think?
Here's the link: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans.html

P.S. Love your book! And I'm excited to have found the blog!

Heather
(not to be confused with previous poster :-))

Janice said...

Hi Heather #2:

While it is true that butter contains more saturated fat than margarine, we still use a small amount because it's all natural and it tastes good. We also use trans fat-free-tub margarines such as Smart Balance (fortified with 500mg omega-3 fats) and Olivio as a spread for toast and English muffins.

As for baking, we typically use canola oil instead of butter or margarine because it is low in saturated fat and high in heart-heatlhy monounsaturated fats (along with some omega-3 fat).

Check out our Chocolaty Pumpkin Bars, Blueberry Snack Muffins, and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins under the recipe section of our website to sample some of our baked goods with canola. Welcome, and thanks for posting!

Michelle R said...

We had the chicken pot pie bundles for dinner tonight. It was a huge hit with my 4 year old, my one year old and my husband and I! I chopped the carrot and chicken small enough so I didn't have to cut it again after I served it to the kids. Super easy meal.

I am in desperate need of quick and easy lunches. Would love to see future blogs about that!

Thanks for all you do!
Michelle

Janice said...

Hi Michelle:

What kind of lunches do you need ideas for? Lunches to pack for school/preschool or lunches to eat at home? We promise to address your question in one of our next blogs!

Glad you liked the Chicken Pot Pie Bundles. Would you (and your kids) be interested in giving us some quotes regarding this recipe for our next cookbook? If so, send us your email address at moms@mealmakeovermoms.com and we'll send you the details!

Michelle R said...

Thanks for the quick response! I need quick at home meal ideas that are healthy and not expensive.

Please feel free to use any of my comments as quotes as for the kids, I didn't hear a peep out of them at dinner, they were far too busy enjoying!

Anonymous said...

I accidentally picked up wonton wrappers and made the chicken pot pie recipe with that (it did lead to some confusion on fitting 1/4 cup of the mixture into the wraps??__ah reading skills!)

Anyway, I just have to say that they are perfect finger foods and make rather nice appetizers and were a hit with my boys (6 and 8)who typically avoid mixed veggies.

I'm off to try the shepherds pie recipe--hope its as good!
Aimee

Janice said...

Hi Aimee:

We're glad you and your boys enjoyed our Chicken Pot Pie Bundles. We certainly would have liked to be a fly on the wall as you painstakingly attempted to stuff 1/4-cup of the meat & veggie mixture into your tiny wonton wrappers. You must have thought we were nuts for writing such a silly direction (until, as you said, you re-read the recipe). As a friendly reminder to everyone, we call for the larger egg-roll wrappers for this recipe!

Hope you liked the Shepherd's pie. Keep on cooking.

Janice said...

Michelle:
We didn't forget about you! Check out our February 8th post with quick & easy lunch ideas.