Ask The Meal Makeover Moms

The Meal Makeover Moms are here to answer your questions and offer mealtime suggestions! Please post your questions by clicking on the "comments" button at the end of any of our posts.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's the Little Things in Life!

Now that our blog has been up and running for a year -- our anniversary was March 16th -- we decided it was high time we let you in on our number-one food obsession: avocados!


We love avocados so much that we split one whenever we're working together. We're happy when our avocados are pefectly ripe and have been driven almost to tears if we get a brown or mushy one. For those of you who "shun" avocados because they are high in fat, bear in mind that the type of fat is mostly the heart-healthy monounsaturated kind. As for our favorite way to eat this amazing fruit, sometimes we slice it and add it to a turkey sandwich on whole wheat ... or we simply dice it, add EVOO, kosher salt, a little lemon or lime juice and sometimes feta and sliced grape tomatoes. Today, that's exactly what we had ... along with steamed artichokes dipped in a mixture of EVOO, garlic, and butter.

It's amazing how the little things in life can bring so much joy. Of course, our families think we're nuts when we get excited over food but we just can't help ourselves. If you're a fellow foodie you'll know what we mean.Let us know what foods you're obsessed with.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get carried away when peaches are in season - they seem hard to get these days. And the white peaches make me dizzy; they are so very sweet and filled with a perfume of flavor.
I know I wrote you both many times about diet - I am sure you got sick of me - well, I got to thinking... my Mom was ill for several years before her death and really lost all taste/senses in her mouth so food just became unenjoyable.So, I think yes, I need to lose 30 - 35 pounds, I can do it by ramping up some much needed exercise. Why go on a diet, eat diet food, push away pasta or homemade bread because I am on a low carb diet, eat diet bars or drink nasty slim fast - why do that? Quality not quantity, exercise and pleasure - love, laugh, friends, taste, garden and enjoy - health is made of of many things that cannot be detected by a scale or a lab test. With age comes wisdom if we but pay attention. A pattern of eating overall not a daily grind of good and bad.
Here's to sweet peaches in memory of my sweet mom.
Best- Greg
PS- looking forward to your new book!

Janice said...

Greg, it seems that you are putting things into perspective and are starting to get it! It's all about enjoying delicious foods with friends and family, in moderation, and finding a way to get pleasure out of physical activity every day. We support you in your new attitude and are confident that you will succeed in losing a bit of weight if that is your goal. However, some folks expend way too much mental energy trying to cut calories, eating foods that they don't like to lose a few pounds, instead of truly enjoying the wonderful food that we have available to us in this country. It's like Janice's mom has always said "Everything in moderation, including moderation!" Now get out there and go for a walk!

Keep those comments and questions coming- and no, we'll never get sick of you!

Anonymous said...

Have any good, easy recipe for couscous? I think I just love the name. I found a recipe from the Seinfield cookbook and it turned out AWFUL! Now I'm stuck with lots of whole wheat couscous.

Janice said...

Hi Ann:

You are not the first person to report that a Seinfeld/Deceptively Delicious recipe didn’t work! Here is our couscous recipe from The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers. Let us know what you think. We also included a recipe for a great Israeli couscous recipe that we created for a cooking demo- it’s fabulous! Israeli couscous, also called pearl couscous, is a larger version of couscous and actually looks like tiny pearls. We buy it in the bulk bin at Whole Foods.

Sweet & Nutty Couscous
Makes 4 to 5 Servings

1 cup apple juice
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
¾ cup whole wheat couscous
¼ cup golden raisins
1/3 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped

1. Combine the apple juice, water, salt, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the peas, couscous, and raisins. Cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Fluff the couscous with a fork, stir in the pecans, and serve.

Nutrition Information per serving:
270 calories, 7g fat (0.5g saturated), 160mg sodium, 49g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 8g protein


Israeli Couscous
Makes 4 Servings

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced shallot (about 1 medium-size shallot)
1 1/4 cups Israeli couscous
2 cups all-natural chicken broth

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the couscous and broth, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 12 to 15 minutes.

Nutrition Information per serving:
140 calories, 2.5g fat (0g saturated), 190mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 4g protein

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never heard of the Israeli couscous and we do have a Whole Foods here that I could find it.

I noticed that the sweet and nutty one is in the side dishesof the book. I may try and pull it off as a main dish though. I'll have to try it over the next week and let you know. Must use up this couscous somehow!